New Reduced price! AWS QC10:2017 View larger

AWS QC10:2017

M00001426

New product

AWS QC10:2017 Specification for Qualification and Certification for Level I - Entry Welder

standard by American Welding Society, 01/01/2017

Full Description

AWS QC10:2017 establishes the minimum requirements for trainees to receive AWS SENSE training certificate forfull or partial completion of the Level I-Entry Welder program. SENSE training organizations are free to exceed theseminimum requirements.

More details

In stock

$15.75

-55%

$35.00

More info

Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I— Entry Welders

Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders

Supersedes AWS QC10:2008

Prepared by the American Welding Society (AWS) Education Committee—Task Group on SENSE Standards

Under the Direction of the AWS Education Committee

Approved by the AWS Board of Directors

Abstract

AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders, is the specification that defines the requirements for trainees to receive an AWS SENSE training certificate for full or partial completion of the Level I—Entry Welder program. It also specifies the requirements for SENSE training organizations in order to submit trainees for a full or partial AWS training certificate and inclusion in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database. AWS QC10 is the governing specification for AWS EG2.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I—Entry Welders.

ISBN: 978-0-87171-932-4

© 2017 by American Welding Society

All rights reserved Printed in the United States of America

Photocopy Rights. No portion of this standard may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, including mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the copy- right owner.

Authorization to photocopy items for internal, personal, or educational classroom use only or the internal, personal, or educational classroom use only of specific clients is granted by the American Welding Society provided that the appro- priate fee is paid to the Copyright Clearance Center, 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923, tel: (978) 750-8400; Internet: <www.copyright.com>.

ii

Statement on the Use of American Welding Society Standards

All standards (codes, specifications, recommended practices, methods, classifications, and guides) of the American Welding Society (AWS) are voluntary consensus standards that are developed through a consensus standards develop- ment process that brings together volunteers representing varied viewpoints and interests to achieve consensus. While the American Welding Society administers the process and establishes rules to promote fairness in the development of consensus, it does not independently test, evaluate, or verify the accuracy of any information or the soundness of any judgments contained in its standards. Further, given the rapid changes in the field, AWS cannot warrant that the standard will at all times reflect the most current knowledge.

AWS disclaims liability for any injury to persons or to property, or other damages of any nature whatsoever, whether special, indirect, consequential, or compensatory, directly or indirectly resulting from the publication, use of, or reliance on this standard. AWS also makes no guarantee or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information published herein.

In issuing and making this standard available, AWS is neither undertaking to render professional or other services for or on behalf of any person or entity, nor is AWS undertaking to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to someone else. Anyone using these documents should rely on his or her own independent judgment or, as appropriate, seek the advice of a competent professional in determining the exercise of reasonable care in any given circumstances. It is assumed that the use of this standard and its provisions is entrusted to appropriately qualified and competent personnel.

This standard may be superseded by new editions. This standard may also be corrected through publication of amendments or errata, or supplemented by publication of addenda. Information on the latest editions of AWS standards including amendments, errata, and addenda is posted on the AWS web page (www.aws.org). Users should ensure that they have the latest edition, amendments, errata, and addenda.

Publication of this standard does not authorize infringement of any patent or trade name. Users of this standard accept any and all liabilities for infringement of any patent or trade name items. AWS disclaims liability for the infringement of any patent or product trade name resulting from the use of this standard.

AWS does not monitor, police, or enforce compliance with this standard, nor does it have the power to do so.

Official interpretations of any of the technical requirements of this standard may only be obtained by sending a request, in writing, to the appropriate education committee. Such requests should be addressed to the American Welding Society, Attention: Director, Education Services Department, 8669 NW 36 St, # 130, Miami, FL 33166 (see Annex E). With regard to technical inquiries made concerning AWS standards, oral opinions on AWS standards may be rendered. These opinions are offered solely as a convenience to users of this standard, and they do not constitute professional advice. Such opinions represent only the personal opinions of the particular individuals giving them. These individuals do not speak on behalf of AWS, nor do these oral opinions constitute official or unofficial opinions or interpretations of AWS. In addition, oral opinions are informal and should not be used as a substitute for an official interpretation.

This standard is subject to revision at any time by the AWS Education Committee. Comments (recommendations, addi- tions, or deletions) and any pertinent data that may be of use in improving this standard are required and should be addressed to AWS Headquarters. Such comments will receive careful consideration by the AWS Education Committee and the author of the comments will be informed of the Committee's response to the comments. Guests are invited to attend all meetings of the AWS Education Committee to express their comments verbally. Procedures for appeal of an adverse decision concerning all such comments are provided in the Rules of Operation of the Education Committee. A copy of these Rules can be obtained from the American Welding Society, 8669 NW 36 St, # 130, Miami, FL 33166.

iii

This page is intentionally blank.

iv

iv

Personnel

AWS Education Committee

E. Norman, Chair EDCO Industries, LLC

1. Lienert, Vice Chair Los Alamos National Laboratory

1. Henry, Secretary American Welding Society

Y. Adonyi LeTourneau University

1. Anderson New Castle Area Career Programs

1. Ash U.S. Army

T. Baber College of the Canyons

J. Carney Ferris State University

J. Colton Pennsylvania College of Technology

G. Donovan International Training Institute of the SMWIA

T. T. Gilligan United Association

J. Greer Moraine Valley Community College

D. Haas Ingalls Shipbuilding

M. Hayden Cedartown Comprehensive High School

S. V. Houston American Technical Publishers

J. Jones The Lincoln Electric Company

P. Mendez University of Alberta

2. Muehlbrandt The Lincoln Electric Company

D. L. Myers ESAB Welding & Cutting Products

N. Peterson Miller Electric Manufacturing Company

D. Phillips The Ohio State University

R. Polanin Illinois Central College

M. Relyin International Association of Iron Workers

J. Schmidt The Lincoln Electric Company

D. Turner Yuba Community College

1. Vanscoy International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

Z. Yu Colorado School of Mines

W. Zhang The Ohio State University

Advisor to the AWS Education Committee

D. Klingman Welding Consultant

AWS Task Group on SENSE Standards

2. Houston, Chair American Technical Publishers

1. Henry, Secretary American Welding Society

M. Anderson New Castle Area Career Programs

T. T. Gilligan United Association

1. P. Hamilton Stringer Bead Welding

1. Klingman Welding Consultant

J. Knapp Northeast Community College

2. Norman EDCO Industries, LLC

v

AWS Task Group on SENSE Standards (Continued)

R. Richwine Ivy Tech Community College

J. Schmidt The Lincoln Electric Company

M. Sloan International Training Institute of the SMWIA

R. Vanscoy International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

vi

Foreword

This foreword is not part of this standard but is included for informational purposes only.

The AWS Schools Excelling through National Skill Standards Education (SENSE) program began in 1993 with the award of a grant by the U.S. Department of Education to develop a series of voluntary standards to promote consistency and quality in welding education on a national basis. The development of these National Skill Standards involved a survey of the welding industry, skilled trades, and the welding education community, to arrive at a consensus on welder skills and competencies required by industry. The result of this survey was an occupational task analysis. This task analy- sis formed the basis for the development of the SENSE specifications and guidelines.

Currently, there are two levels of SENSE: Level I—Entry Welder and Level II—Advanced Welder. Both levels are designed to facilitate the implementation of a modular welder training program based on best practices.

The specifications and guidelines for SENSE Level I were revised in 2015, and SENSE Level II—Advanced Welder was modularized to facilitate implementation in a variety of welder training programs. Supplements were also developed to provide technique sheets and AWS standard welding procedure specifications (SWPSs) for SENSE workmanship and performance qualification tests. The supplements are based on AWS B2.0, Standard Welding Procedure Specifications (SWPSs). In addition, AWS QC21, Specification for AWS Accreditation of SENSE Welder Training Programs, was added. The specifications, guidelines, and supplements for SENSE welder training and welder training program accred- itation are:

AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders

AWS EG2.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I—Entry Welders

AWS EG2.0 Supplement, Supplement SENSE Level I—Entry Welder Training Performance Testing Procedures

AWS QC11, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level II—Advanced Welders

AWS EG3.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level II—Advanced Welders

AWS EG3.0 Supplement, Supplement SENSE Level II—Advanced Welder Training Performance Testing Procedures

AWS QC21, Specification for AWS Accreditation of SENSE Welder Training Programs

AWS EG21, Specification for the Qualification of SENSE Welder Training Programs

This latest revision of AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of Level I—Entry Welders, repre- sents the AWS Education Committee’s consensus on the requirements for trainees of SENSE training organizations to receive an AWS SENSE training certificate for full or partial completion of the Level I—Entry Welder program, and to be registered in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database.

vii

This page is intentionally blank.

viii

viii

Table of Contents

Page No.

Personnel v

Foreword vii

List of Tables x

List of Figures x

1. Scope 1

2. Reference Documents 1

3. Definitions 2

4. Requirements for Level I—Entry Welder 3

5. SENSE Guidelines 3

6. Practical Knowledge Exams 4

7. Workmanship & Welder Performance Qualification Tests 5

8. Inspection, Testing, and Acceptance Criteria 6

9. Documentation 7

10. Records of Welder Training Certificate 12

11. Registration of Entry Welders 12

12. AWS SENSE Accredited Training Program Accreditation 12

Annex A (Normative)—Visual Examination Results 13

Annex B (Normative)—Face- and Root-Bend Test Results 15

Annex C (Normative)—Standard Welding Procedure Specifications for Level I Welding Performance

Qualification Tests 17

Annex D (Informative)—Level I Welding Performance Qualification Matrix 19

Annex E (Informative)—Guidelines for the Preparation of Technical Inquiries for the AWS Education

Committees 21

ix

List of Tables

Table Page No.

6.1 Level I—Entry Welder Program Structure 4

7.1 Level I—Entry Welder Workmanship and Qualification Tests 6

1. Visual Examination Criteria for Level I—Entry Welders 7

2. Acceptance Criteria for Face- and Root-Bends 11

1. Recommended SWPSs for Level I Tests 17

2. SWPS Reference Documents 18

D.1 Level I Welding Performance Qualification Matrix 19

List of Figures

Figure Page No.

1. Transverse Face and Root Bend Specimens per AWS 2.1 8

2. Guided Bend Fixture-Bottom Ejecting Type per AWS 2.1 9

3. Guided Bend Fixture-Bottom Type per AWS 2.1 10

4. Guided Bend Fixture-Wrap-Around per AWS 2.1 11

x

Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders

1. Scope

1. This specification establishes the minimum requirements for trainees to receive AWS SENSE training certificate for full or partial completion of the Level I—Entry Welder program. SENSE training organizations are free to exceed these minimum requirements.

2. This specification defines practical knowledge examinations, as well as the workmanship and performance qualifica- tion tests that require a minimum level of reading, computational and manipulative skills to successfully complete.

3. All individuals that meet the specified training certificate criteria will be listed in the AWS SENSE Certificate Data- base provided that:

1. the training facility is a SENSE Accredited Training Program (ATP) per the requirements of AWS QC21, Speci- fication for AWS Accreditation of SENSE Welder Training Programs

2. the required proof(s) of completion are submitted to AWS along with applicable fees.

4. Organizations that are not a SENSE Accredited Training Program may use this specification, but individuals they instruct will not be eligible for SENSE training certificates, nor will they be listed in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database.

5. Although some questions on knowledge examinations may pertain to safety, this specification is not intended to address safety and health. Safety and health requirements are provided in ANSI Z49.1, Safety in Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes, as well as federal, state, and local government regulations. The responsibility for safety rests primarily with the trainee and the training organization during training.

2. Reference Documents

Unless specified, the latest approved revision applies.

ANSI Z49.1, Safety in Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes

AWS A3.0M/A3.0, Standard Welding Terms and Definitions, Including Terms for Adhesive Bonding, Brazing, Solder- ing, Thermal Cutting, and Thermal Spraying

AWS B2, Standard Welding Procedure Specifications (SWPSs)

AWS B2.1/B2.1M, Specification for Welding Procedures and Performance Qualification

AWS B4.0, Standard Methods for Mechanical Testing of Welds

AWS B5.5, Specification for the Qualification of Welder Educators

AWS C4.1, Criteria for Describing Oxygen-Cut Surfaces, and Oxygen Cutting Surface Roughness Gauge

AWS EG2.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel Level 1—Entry Welder

AWS EG2.0 Supplement, Supplement SENSE Level I—Welder Training Performance Testing Procedures

AWS EG21, Specification for the Qualification of SENSE Welder Training Programs

AWS QC5, Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Educators

AWS QC21, Specification for the AWS Accreditation of SENSE Welder Training Programs