New Reduced price! AWS EG2.0:2017 View larger

AWS EG2.0:2017

M00001423

New product

AWS EG2.0:2017 Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: Level 1 - Entry Level Workers

standard by American Welding Society, 01/01/2017

Full Description

AWS EG2.0:2017 establishes a skill standard by defining the recommended minimum welder training requirements for a Level I-Entry Welder in accordance with AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I-Entry Welders.

More details

In stock

$37.80

-55%

$84.00

More info

Guide for the Training of

Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I— Entry Welders

ISBN: 978-0-87171-933-1

© 2017 by American Welding Society

All rights reserved Printed in the United States of America

Photocopy Rights. No portion of this standard may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, including mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the copyright owner.

Authorization to photocopy items for internal, personal, or educational classroom use only or the internal, personal, or educational classroom use only of specific clients is granted by the American Welding Society provided that the appropriate fee is paid to the Copyright Clearance Center, 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923, tel: (978) 750-8400; Internet:

<www.copyright.com».

Statement on the Use of American Welding Society Standards

All standards (codes, specifications, recommended practices, methods, classifications, and guides) of the American Welding Society (AWS) are voluntary consensus standards that are developed through a consensus standards develop- ment process that brings together volunteers representing varied viewpoints and interests to achieve consensus. While the American Welding Society administers the process and establishes rules to promote fairness in the development of consensus, it does not independently test, evaluate, or verify the accuracy of any information or the soundness of any judgments contained in its standards. Further, given the rapid changes in the field, AWS cannot warrant that the standard will at all times reflect the most current knowledge.

AWS disclaims liability for any injury to persons or to property, or other damages of any nature whatsoever, whether special, indirect, consequential, or compensatory, directly or indirectly resulting from the publication, use of, or reliance on this standard. AWS also makes no guarantee or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information published herein.

In issuing and making this standard available, AWS is neither undertaking to render professional or other services for or on behalf of any person or entity, nor is AWS undertaking to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to someone else. Anyone using these documents should rely on his or her own independent judgment or, as appropriate, seek the advice of a competent professional in determining the exercise of reasonable care in any given circumstances. It is assumed that the use of this standard and its provisions is entrusted to appropriately qualified and competent personnel.

This standard may be superseded by new editions. This standard may also be corrected through publication of amendments or errata, or supplemented by publication of addenda. Information on the latest editions of AWS standards including amendments, errata, and addenda is posted on the AWS web page (www.aws.org). Users should ensure that they have the latest edition, amendments, errata, and addenda.

Publication of this standard does not authorize infringement of any patent or trade name. Users of this standard accept any and all liabilities for infringement of any patent or trade name items. AWS disclaims liability for the infringement of any patent or product trade name resulting from the use of this standard.

AWS does not monitor, police, or enforce compliance with this standard, nor does it have the power to do so.

Official interpretations of any of the technical requirements of this standard may only be obtained by sending a request, in writing, to the appropriate education committee. Such requests should be addressed to the American Welding Society, Attention: Director, Education Services Department, 8669 NW 36 St, # 130, Miami, FL 33166 (see Annex H). With regard to technical inquiries made concerning AWS standards, oral opinions on AWS standards may be rendered. These opinions are offered solely as a convenience to users of this standard, and they do not constitute professional advice. Such opinions represent only the personal opinions of the particular individuals giving them. These individuals do not speak on behalf of AWS, nor do these oral opinions constitute official or unofficial opinions or interpretations of AWS. In addition, oral opinions are informal and should not be used as a substitute for an official interpretation.

This standard is subject to revision at any time by the AWS Education Committee. Comments (recommendations, addi- tions, or deletions) and any pertinent data that may be of use in improving this standard are required and should be addressed to AWS Headquarters. Such comments will receive careful consideration by the AWS Education Committee and the author of the comments will be informed of the Committee's response to the comments. Guests are invited to attend all meetings of the AWS Education Committee to express their comments verbally. Procedures for appeal of an adverse decision concerning all such comments are provided in the Rules of Operation of the Education Committee. A copy of these Rules can be obtained from the American Welding Society, 8669 NW 36 St, # 130, Miami, FL 33166.

iv

This page is intentionally blank.

Personnel

AWS Education Committee

E. Norman, Chair EDCO Industries, LLC

1. Lienert, Vice Chair Los Alamos National Laboratory

1. Henry, Secretary American Welding Society

Y. Adonyi LeTourneau University

1. Anderson New Castle Area Career Programs

1. Ash U.S. Army

T. Baber College of the Canyons

J. Carney Ferris State University

J. Colton Pennsylvania College of Technology

G. Donovan International Training Institute of the SMWIA

T. T. Gilligan United Association

J. Greer Moraine Valley Community College

D. Haas Ingalls Shipbuilding

M. Hayden Cedartown Comprehensive High School

S. V. Houston American Technical Publishers

J. Jones The Lincoln Electric Company

P. Mendez University of Alberta

2. Muehlbrandt The Lincoln Electric Company

D. L Myers ESAB Welding & Cutting Products

N. Peterson Miller Electric Manufacturing Company

D. Phillips The Ohio State University

R. Polanin Illinois Central College

M. Relyin International Association of Iron Workers

J. Schmidt The Lincoln Electric Company

D. Turner Yuba Community College

R. Vanscoy International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

Z. Yu Colorado School of Mines

W. Zhang The Ohio State University

Advisor to the AWS Education Committee

D. Klingman Welding Consultant

AWS Task Group on SENSE Standards

1. Houston, Chair American Technical Publishers

I. Santa Cruz, Secretary American Welding Society

M. Anderson New Castle Area Career Programs

T. T. Gilligan United Association

1. P. Hamilton Stringer Bead Welding

1. Klingman Welding Consultant

J. Knapp Northeast Community College

2. Norman EDCO Industries

R. Richwine Ivy Tech Community College

J. Schmidt The Lincoln Electric Company

M. Sloan International Training Institute of the SMWIA

R. Vanscoy International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

vi

Foreword

This foreword is not part of this standard but is included for informational purposes only.

Advances in welding technology, along with the advent of new materials and manufacturing processes, require that welders have a better knowledge of the science associated with welding in addition to manipulative skills. Thus, it is imperative that welder training adequately prepare individuals for industrial assignments at various levels of knowledge and skill development.

The American Welding Society (AWS), recognizing the need for competent welders, through a grant by the U.S. Department of Education, formed the Education Grant Committee in 1992, and assigned them the task of preparing a set of national specifications and guidelines for welding education. The result of this effort was AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders, and AWS EG2.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I—Entry Welders, which were introduced in 1995. Specifications and guidelines for SENSE Level II—Advanced Welder and SENSE Level III—Expert Welder were introduced in 1996.

SENSE specifications and guidelines were developed according to the DACUM method, and are based on the results of a national survey of industry, trade organizations, and educational institutions to identify requisite welder skills and knowledge. In 2008, SENSE Level I—Entry Welder was modularized. In 2015, SENSE Level I—Entry Level was reviewed and minor revisions were made by the AWS Education Committee. Level II—Advanced Welder was also revised and updated to accommodate modular implementation. In addition, the performance tests for Level III—Expert Welding were incorporated into SENSE Level II—Advanced Welder as optional endorsements. There are currently two levels of SENSE: Level I—Entry Welder, and Level II—Advanced Welder.

AWS EG2.0, Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I—Entry Welders, is intended to provide guidelines for the implementation of an entry-level welder training program that complies with the national SENSE standards for welding education. The guidelines contained in this document are based on AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders.

AWS QC10 and EG2.0 represent the consensus of the AWS Education Committee regarding the minimum training requirements for a Level I—Entry Welder based on industry requirements. AWS EG2.0 establishes the guidelines necessary to standardize the training of entry-level welders on a national basis.

This latest revision of EG2.0 makes reference to the AWS EG2.0 Supplement, Supplement SENSE Level I—Entry Welder Training Performance Testing Procedures. This supplement provides a Welder Performance Qualification Technique Sheet and accompanying AWS SWPS for each SENSE Level I workmanship and welder performance quali- fication test. These procedures are for educational use only, and shall not be used by employers for welder performance qualification tests or for production welding.

Comments and suggestions for the improvement of this standard are welcome. They should be sent to the Director, Education Services Department, American Welding Society, 8669 NW 36 St, # 130, Miami, FL 33166.

viii

Table of Contents

Personnel v

Foreword vii

List of Tables x

List of Drawings x

1. General Provisions 1

1. Scope 1

2. Objectives 1

3. Implementation 1

2. Industrial Awareness 2

1. Scope 2

2. Level I—Entry Welder Definition 2

3. Level I—Entry Welder Occupational Description 2

4. Level I—Entry Welder Occupational Conditions 3

3. Guidelines 4

1. General Guidelines 4

2. Recommended Modular Competency-Based Program Outline 8

3. Recommended Modular Guidelines for Level I—Entry Welder Training 12

Annex A (Normative)—Recommendations for Support Personnel and Systems 107

Annex B (Normative)—Recommendations for the Trainee Population 111

Annex C (Normative)—Recommendations for Facility Planning 113

Annex D (Normative)—Recommendations for Personal and Shop Materials, Equipment, and Tools 117

Annex E (Normative)—Training Achievement Record 125

Annex F (Normative)—Reference Materials 133

Annex G (Normative)—Standard Welding Procedure Specifications for Level I Workmanship and

Performance Qualification Tests 135

Annex H (Informative)—Guidelines for the Preparation of Technical Inquiries for the AWS Education

Committees 137

List of Tables

Table Page No.

1. Level I—Entry Welder Program Structure 6

2. Level I—Entry Welder Workmanship and Qualification Tests 7

G.1 Recommended SWPSs for SENSE Level I Tests 135

List of Drawings

Drawing No. Description Page No.

AWS EDU-1 FCAW-S & FCAW-G/GM Performance Qualification 101

AWS EDU-2 GMAW (Spray Transfer) Performance Qualification 102

AWS EDU-3 GMAW-S & GTAW-Carbon Steel Performance Qualification 103

AWS EDU-4 GTAW-Austenitic Stainless Steel Performance Qualification 104

AWS EDU-5 GTAW-Aluminum Performance Qualification 105

AWS EDU-6 SMAW Performance Qualification-Test Plates 106

x

Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: SENSE Level I—Entry Welders

1. General Provisions

1. Scope. EG2.0 establishes a skill standard by defining the recommended minimum welder training requirements for a Level I—Entry Welder in accordance with AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of SENSE Level I—Entry Welders.

This guide is intended to specify a credible path for training organizations to implement new welding programs or to enhance existing programs to administer Level I—Entry Welder training.

Use of this guide is voluntary. Training organizations desiring to register a trainee as an AWS SENSE Entry Welder, or to record completion of modules or units, shall consider these guidelines as the minimum specified under AWS QC10. Training organizations are free to exceed these minimum requirements.

2. Objectives

1. Provide training organizations with an industrial awareness of the occupational description, conditions, task list- ing, and profile that encompasses the job classification of Level I—Entry Welder.

2. Establish a national consensus guideline, based on an industry-wide survey of skills needed in industry, detail- ing the minimum acceptable skill requirements for the training of a Level I—Entry Welder.

3. Provide training organizations with a list of key indicators (desired outcomes), objectives, evaluation criteria, and recommended instructional activities necessary to accomplish Level I—Entry Welder training.

4. Provide training organizations with a national consensus guideline with which to compare their own curricu- lum, evaluate third party curricula, or develop a new curriculum that is aligned with this national consensus, modular SENSE guideline.

5. Provide training organizations with AWS documents and standards to be used as a basis for evaluating or devel- oping training materials.

6. Provide training organizations participating in SENSE with information related to the administration of Level I—Entry Welder testing necessary to meet the requirements of AWS QC10.

3. Implementation

1. Accredited Training Program. Training organizations shall be a SENSE Accredited Training Program (ATP) per AWS QC21, Specification for AWS Accreditation of SENSE Welder Training Programs, to be eligible to list training completers in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database.

2. Completion Status. AWS QC10, Clauses 6, 7, and 9 define the requirements for trainees to receive “partial completion” or “full completion” status as an AWS SENSE Entry Welder. In order to be registered in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database, the ATP shall prepare and submit the trainees scores to the AWS Education Department.

1. Continuation of Full Completers in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database. AWS QC10, Clause 11 indicates an individual with full completion as a Level I—Entry Welder status shall remain in the AWS SENSE Certifi- cate Database for three (3) years, after which time a permanent record shall be archived.

2. Continuation of Partial Completers in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database. AWS QC10, Clause 11 indicates that an individual with partial completion status shall remain in the AWS SENSE Certificate Database for three

(3) years from the date of their last completed arc welding process competency, after which time a permanent record shall be archived.