New Reduced price! AWS EG2.0:2008 View larger

AWS EG2.0:2008

M00001422

New product

AWS EG2.0:2008 Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: Level 1 - Entry Level Workers

standard by American Welding Society, 11/01/2008

Full Description

This guide contains information to assist education and training organizations in the development and administration of a modular, competency-based training that leads to the qualification and registration of a trainee in accordance with the requirements of AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Registration of Level I-Entry Welder

More details

In stock

$37.80

-55%

$84.00

More info

Microsoft Word - EG2.0 2008.doc

Guide

for the Training of Welding Personnel: Level I—Entry Welder

Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: Level I— Entry Welder

Supersedes EG2.0-95 Revision Nov. 2008

Prepared by the American Welding Society (AWS) Committee on SENSE

AWS Committee on Education

Approved by the AWS Board of Directors

Abstract

This guide contains information to assist education and training organizations in the development and administration of a modular, competency-based training that leads to the qualification and certification of a trainee in accordance with the requirements of AWS QC10, Specification for Qualification and Certification of Level I—Entry Welder.

550 N.W. LeJeune Road, Miami, FL 33126

AWS EG2.0: 2008

International Standard Book Number: 978-0-87171-670-5

American Welding Society 550 N.W. LeJeune Road, Miami, FL 33126

© 2008 by American Welding Society

All rights reserved Printed in the United States of America

Photocopy Rights. No portion of this standard may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, including mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the copyright owner.

Authorization to photocopy items for internal, personal, or educational classroom use only or the internal, personal, or educational classroom use only of specific clients is granted by the American Welding Society provided that the appropriate fee is paid to the Copyright Clearance Center, 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923, tel: (978) 750-8400; Internet:

<www.copyright.com>.

ii

Statement on Use of AWS American National Standards

All standards (codes, specifications, recommended practices, methods, classifications, and guides) of the American Welding Society (AWS) are voluntary consensus standards that have been developed in accordance with the rules of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). When AWS standards are either incorporated in, or made part of, documents that are included in federal or state laws and regulations, or the regulations of other governmental bodies, their provisions carry the full legal authority of the statute. In such cases, any changes in those AWS standards must be approved by the governmental body having statutory jurisdiction before they can become a part of those laws and regulations. In all cases, these standards carry the full legal authority of the contract or other document that invokes the AWS standards. Where this contractual relationship exists, changes in or deviations from requirements of an AWS standard must be by agreement between the contracting parties.

This AWS standard was developed through a consensus standards development process that brings together volunteers representing varied viewpoints and interests to achieve consensus. While AWS administers the process and establishes rules to promote fairness in the development of consensus, it does not independently test, evaluate, or verify the accuracy of any information or the soundness of any judgments contained in its standards.

AWS disclaims liability for any injury to persons or to property, or other damages of any nature whatsoever, whether special, indirect, consequential or compensatory, directly or indirectly resulting from the publication, use of, or reliance on this standard. AWS also makes no guaranty or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information published herein.

In issuing and making this standard available, AWS is not undertaking to render professional or other services for or on behalf of any person or entity. Nor is AWS undertaking to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to someone else. Anyone using these documents should rely on his or her own independent judgment or, as appropriate, seek the advice of a competent professional in determining the exercise of reasonable care in any given circumstances.

This standard may be superseded by the issuance of new editions. Users should ensure that they have the latest edition.

Publication of this standard does not authorize infringement of any patent or trade name. Users of this standard accept any and all liabilities for infringement of any patent or trade name items. AWS disclaims liability for the infringement of any patent or product trade name resulting from the use of this standard.

On occasion, text, tables, or figures are printed incorrectly, constituting errata. Such errata, when discovered, are posted on the AWS web page (www.aws.org).

Official interpretations of any of the technical requirements of this standard may only be obtained by sending a request, in writing, to the Director of Education, Technical Services Division, American Welding Society, 550 N.W. LeJeune Road, Miami, FL 33126. With regard to technical inquiries made concerning AWS standards, oral opinions on AWS standards may be rendered. However, such opinions represent only the personal opinions of the particular individuals giving them. These individuals do not speak on behalf of AWS, nor do these oral opinions constitute official or unoffi- cial opinions or interpretations of AWS. In addition, oral opinions are informal and should not be used as a substitute for an official interpretation.

This standard is subject to revision at any time by the AWS Committee on Education. Comments (recommendations, ad- ditions, or deletions) and any pertinent data that may be of use in improving this standard are required and should be ad- dressed to AWS Headquarters. Such comments will receive careful consideration by the AWS Committee on Education and the author of the comments will be informed of the Committee’s response to the comments. Guests are invited to at- tend all meetings of the AWS Committee on Education to express their comments verbally. Procedures for appeal of an adverse decision concerning all such comments are provided in the Rules of Operation of the Education Committee. A copy of these Rules can be obtained from the American Welding Society, 550 N.W. LeJeune Road, Miami, FL 33126.

iii

This page is intentionally blank.

iv

Personnel

AWS Committee on Education

E. Norman, Chair

T. Lienert, Vice Chair

1. Ventura, Secretary

1. Godley

*D. Klingman

S. V. Houston

E. Abbot

L. Caughron

D. Cotner

D. P. Hamilton

D. Haas

M. Harris

C. Seeger

1. Muehlbrant

G. Smith

D. Twitty

1. Vanscoy

Southwest Area Career Center Los Alamos National Laboratory American Welding Society Southern Company Generation The Lincoln Electric Company American Technical Publishers Ironworkers International Grand River Technical School PA College of Technology Sequoiah High School

Northrop Grumman International Training Institute United Association

The Lincoln Electric Company Ohio Department of Education Doña Ana Community College

International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

AWS Subcommittee on SENSE

2. V. Houston, Chair

M. Anderson

L. Bower

R. Depue

E. Norman

R. Richwine

D. Twitty

G. Smith

American Technical Publishers New Castle Area Career Programs Blackhawk Technical College Welding Consultant

Southwest Area Career Center Ivy Tech Community College Doña Ana Community College Ohio Department of Education

*Advisor

v

vi

Foreword

This foreword is not a part of AWS EG2.0-2008 Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel: Level I— Entry Welder, but is included for informational purposes only.

The American Welding Society (AWS), recognizing the need for competent welders, through a grant by the

U.S. Department of Education, formed the Education Grant Committee in 1992 and assigned them the task of preparing the initial guide.

Welding has become a very sophisticated and technical science, requiring not only mental application but also hands-on abilities. The future need for competent welders should prompt the establishment of a greater number of educational programs. Thus, it becomes imperative that training adequately prepares individuals for industrial assignments at various levels of skill development.

To this end the Level I—Entry Welder needs to enter the workforce possessing a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, skills and habits required to perform routine, predictable, repetitive, and procedural tasks involving motor skills, and limited theoretical knowledge while working under close supervision.

As the name implies, it is the intent of this Guide to establish, expand, or enhance a private or public training program for Level I—Entry Welder. The guidelines contained in this document are based on AWS QC10: Specification for the Qualification and Certification of Level I—Entry Welder. AWS QC10 and EG2.0 were developed according to the DACUM method, and are based on the results of a national survey to identify requisite entry welder skills and knowledge. Survey participants included individuals from a wide range of business, industrial and educational areas.

Therefore, this document represents the AWS Education Grant Committee’s consensus on the minimum requirements for a Level I—Entry Welder as specified by industry, and establishes the guidelines necessary to standardize the training and qualification of Level I—Entry Welder on a national basis.

Comments and suggestions for the improvement of this standard are welcome. They should be sent to: The American Welding Society, Attention: Managing Director of Education, 550 N.W. LeJeune Road, Miami, FL 33126.

vii

viii

Table of Contents

Page No.

Personnel v

Foreword vii

List of Drawings x

1. General Provisions 1

1. Scope. 1

2. Objectives 1

3. Implementation 1

2. Industrial Awareness 2

1. Scope. 2

2. Entry Welder Definition 2

3. Entry Welder Occupational Description. 2

4. Level I—Entry Welder Occupational Conditions 4

3. Guidelines 5

1. General Guidelines 5

2. Recommended Modular Competency-Based Outline-Based on Program Structure

QC-10, Table 1 6

3. Recommended Modular Guidelines for Entry Welder Training. 11

Annexes

A—Recommendations for Support Personnel and Systems 117

B—Recommendations for the Trainee Population. 121

C—Recommendations for Facility Planning. 123

D—Recommendations for Personal and Shop Material, Equipment and Tools 129

E—Training Achievement Record 137

F—Reference Materials. 147

ix

List of Drawings

Drawing No. Description Page No.

AWS EDU-1 FCAW-S & FCAW-G/GM Performance Qualification 111

AWS EDU-2 GMAW (Spray Transfer) Performance Qualification 112

AWS EDU-3 GMAW-S & GTAW-Carbon Steel Performance Qualification 113

AWS EDU-4 GTAW-Austenitic Stainless Steel Performance Qualification 114

AWS EDU-5 GTAW-Aluminum Performance Qualification 115

AWS EDU-6 SMAW Performance Qualification—Test Plates 116

x

1. General Provisions

1. Scope. EG2.0 establishes a skill standard by defining the recommended minimum welder training requirements for a Level I—Entry Welder in accordance with AWS QC10: Specification for Qualification and Certification of Level I—Entry Welder.

This guide is intended to specify a credible path for training organizations to implement new welding programs or to enhance existing programs to administer Level I—Entry Welder training.

Use of this Guide is voluntary. Training organizations desiring to register a trainee as an AWS SENSE certified Level I—Entry Welder, or to record completion of modules or units, shall consider these guidelines as the minimum specified under AWS QC10.

2. Objectives

1. Provide training organizations with an industrial awareness of the occupational description, conditions, task listing, and profile that encompasses the job classification of Level I—Entry Welder.

2. Establish a national consensus guidelines, based on an industry-wide survey of skills needed in industry, detailing the minimum acceptable skill requirements for the training of a Level I—Entry Welder.

3. Provide training organizations with a list of Key Indicators Objectives, and Modular Instructional Activities necessary to accomplish Level I—Entry Welder training.

4. Provide training organizations with a national consensus guideline with which to compare their own curriculum, evaluate third party curricula, or develop a new curriculum that is aligned with this national consensus modular SENSE guideline.

5. Provide training organizations with AWS documents and standards to be used as a basis for evaluating or developing training materials.

6. Provide training organizations participating in SENSE with information related to the administration of Level I—Entry Welder testing necessary to meet the requirements of AWS QC10.

3. Implementation

1. Curriculum Comparison. Each training organization’s course of study should reflect the objectives and key indicators of this guide as outline in 3.2 Modular Competency Based Program Outline and detailed in 3.3 Learning Modules.

2. Teaching Sequence. The program sequence as outlined in 3.2 Recommended Modular Competency Based Program Outline and detailed in 3.3 Recommended Modular Guidelines for Level I—Entry Welder Training is a suggested or recommended sequence. It is not mandatory to teach a course of study following the sequence of AWS QC10, Table 1 Level I— Entry Welder Program Structure. The teaching sequence for each training organization’s course of study should be that which the instructor, the organization or the state educational authority specifies or has found to be most suited to the capabilities of the trainees and meets the needs of the industry.